If you’re looking for an online poker site that knows a thing or two about what it’s doing, then bwin Poker is for you. They are one of the oldest poker rooms online, started back in 1999 when online poker was still in its infancy. Today we’ll be going over the features and benefits of this site with our bwin Poker review. While bwin is a decent online poker site, it’s much better for sports and casino, and we’d recommend it’s sister site Party Poker instead.
- Well put together
- Challenges that provide you with rewards
- Natural cashing in and out
- Slightly neglected
- No Mac client
As with most poker sites, bwin gives you a handsome signup bonus when you join. While the amount is not quite as generous as some of the other places we’ve looked at, it’s still pretty enticing.
Unlike with most poker sites, the signup bonus varies significantly, depending on your subscription region. Generally speaking, this will be a 100% bonus match up to $500. For some European regions such as Spain, the maximum bonus match will be 100 Euros. There is also the possibility to get $30 free. As with all sites, to get this bonus you have to play and earn points to “unlock” the money. Currently, bwin has a set up of eight points per bonus dollar. For example, you will need 400 points to get $50 in rewards.
Other than the signup promotion, Bwin has a loyalty program creatively called “b’inside.” The program separates your bonuses into two groups: status and market. We’ll go into the details later, but status points relate to your ranking and payout based on that, whereas market points are a primary “earn and redeem” type of reward.
Games and Features
When it comes to the games you can play, bwin has a much bigger selection than a lot of other sites, but regarding poker, it does still have some limitations. The bwin network allows you to play poker, make sports bets, and play casino-style games like blackjack and roulette. Each section is divided into its own site, so you can switch between action as you like.
When it comes to poker, bwin currently offers these games:
- Texas Hold ‘Em
- Omaha Hi-Lo
- Seven-Card Stud
- Seven-Card Stud 8 or Better
To help increase your gaming experience, Bwin also offers certain game features that you can utilize to your advantage. These include:
- Quick Seating: once you choose the game, table limit, and stakes the software will immediately seat you so you can start right away
- Private Tables: if you want to play with only friends or family or rivals, then you can set up a private game
- Multi-Tabling: if you want to get the most out of your poker experience, you can play up to twelve tables simultaneously
- Player Notes: a smart player keeps track of everything that happens on the table. Whether it’s noting individuals habits and bluffing strategies, or just keeping track of the number of hands played and won, you can take notes with bwin’s software
- Real-Time Odds: if you want to know what your chances of winning are at any moment, Bwin will give you the odds as you play so you can go all-in at the right time
- Statistics: while you can take notes about hands, Bwin will give you the option to track real-time statistics about each game so you can better track your progress. If you multi-table, this system is indispensable
Although bwin has been around since nearly the beginning, the site traffic is not quite as large as other sites like PokerStars or 888 Poker. However, since Bwin is part of the Party Poker network, it does have a hefty amount of traffic, with an average of 1500 players, with about 5000 cash players during peak hours. Naturally, most of the traffic is centered around the no-limit Hold ‘Em games and tournaments, but you can still find players for Stud and Omaha games relatively quickly at peak times.
Software and Applications
Since Bwin has been around forever, the site has a lot of experience in creating a state-of-the-art poker room. That being said, Bwin’s software is amongst the highest quality out there, even if it is a bit resource intensive. bwin is available on many different platforms and applications so that you can play almost anywhere at any time.
On the desktop, you can either play using the Windows client or if you have a Mac or Linux, then you can gamble through their no download option from your browser.
Surprisingly, for mobile, they support both Android and iOS operating systems, with well designed and optimized apps. This way you can take your game on the road with you.
To enhance your gameplay experience, Bwin offers some extra software features that can help you focus on the game instead of the mechanics. Here are some of the notable features you can use:
- One-Click Lobby: if you want fast action, Bwin’s one-click lobby lets you pick a game and be seated in no time at all. Just put in your desired stakes and limits and you’re ready to go.
- Custom Gameplay: if you want to create a specialized avatar for yourself, bwin offers customizable options. Also, if you want to change the layout or color scheme of the site, you can pick your preference.
- Keyboard Shortcuts: if you plan on multi-tabling, you know the importance of hotkeys and shortcuts. Bwin makes it easy with dedicated hotkeys for calling, folding, raising, and betting.
- Multi-Tabling: another option for players who multi-table is the fact that you can set up the software to remember your table layout, so you don’t have to find yourself every time you toggle between games.
Allowed Third Party Poker Add-ons
Unfortunately, as part of the Party Poker network, bwin doesn’t allow the use of any external software to aid you with winning and earning money.
Promotions and VIP Scheme
As we mentioned above, bwin has a proprietary reward program called b’inside. The way this program works is that you receive either Market Points (MP) or Status Points (SP) on all cash games you play. Here is the breakdown of each program.
Status Points: when you earn status points, you are relegated to a certain VIP level, which can affect your rake back percentage. The three tiers are Green, White, and Yellow, with Yellow being the highest. Points are earned for each
- Green Level: 0-400 SP $0 Rake requirements
- White Level: 400-1000 SP $200 Rake required
- Yellow Level: 1000+ SP $500 Rake required
Market Points: these points are earned in the same way as status points, but they can be collected both at cash games and as part of promotions. Unlike status points, MP can be redeemed at any time and do not affect your VIP rating. Currently, the rate of redemption is $1 per 100 MP. If you don’t redeem them after twelve weeks, however, Bwin will start to take points off until you cash them.
However, we think that this VIP system is very badly implemented and found many sections of it to be a letdown.
To improve on this, they do have a challenges section, which rewards you every time that you complete a mission. While this is awesome, it’s not as well implemented as with other sites such as Unibet.
Customer Service and Support
If you have any questions, issues, or complaints, bwin’s customer service and support section are top-quality. You can find a lot of answers to your questions on the sites FAQ list, but if you need to talk to a representative, you can contact them via email, fax, or telephone.
Phone: 00350 200 47 196
Phone Hours: 10am-10pm (GMT)
bwin was created in 1999 under the name Simon Bold Ltd in Gibraltar. Back in 2001, Bwin was taken over by the Austrian company Interactive Entertainment AG. Then, in 2011, the site merged with PartyGaming Plc to become the Bwin.party group.
Currently, the site is based in both Gibraltar and Austria. ElectraWorks Limited operates the site’s software and gaming license from Gibraltar. ElectraWorks is also licensed and bonded by the UK Gambling Commission and is held to the restrictions and standards by that governing body.
bwin is accessible all around the world, and the site is available in 22 different languages. Bwin Sports offers betting on over 90 different sports games, which makes it one of the largest online sports betting sites in the world.
Famous bwin Ambassadors
Unfortunately, bwin doesn’t have any ambassadors to back up its network. However, it has partnered with Juventus, Real Madrid and RSC Anderlecht football clubs.
bwin Review Conclusion
If you want high-level poker action on a site that is intuitive and easy to use, then Bwin is a great place to go. With a relatively high level of traffic and a variety of games to play, you can get plenty of action on the site. We also like the fact that bwin offers casino games and sports betting since many poker players love to gamble on a variety of games.
On the whole, while it’s a decent enough poker site, we found that it seems a bit neglected in various sections and could do with some attention. This is extremely surprising as on the other hand PartyPoker is an extremely high-quality poker site that we recommend often. Therefore, if you’re looking for a good poker experience, we recommend you check out Party Poker first.
- Easy to use
- Plenty of languages to play in
- Great for sports betting
We weren’t so sure about:
- Software is computer intensive
- No Mac client
- VIP scheme is dull